North Yorkshire School Meals
Our school meals follow a healthy-eating policy. From September 2020 our school meal price is £3.25 per day / £16.25 per week.
Our meals are produced freshly every day in a school kitchen from only:
- fresh meat and poultry sourced from the region;
- fruit and vegetables sourced regionally where possible using local suppliers;
- products free from additives associated with health problems in young children;
- fats free from hydrogenated oils; with
- menus that are nutritionally balanced
Click here for more information
Free School Meals
To qualify for free school meals you must fulfil one of the following criteria:
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods (£616.67 per month);
- Income Support;
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
- Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit;
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are also not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual household gross income that does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by HMRC); or
- Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Please note that contributions-based benefits, including contribution-related Jobseekers' Allowance do not entitle you to claim free school meals.
Where parents are entitled to working tax credit during a four week "run on" period immediately after their employment has ceased, or after they have started to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school meals.
Children who receive income support or income based jobseeker's allowance in their own right are also entitled to free school meals.
Should you meet the above criteria, you can apply by using the application form in the useful downloads section.
Applications are usually processed the same day. If your child is entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date when the meals will start. The school is also notified that your child is entitled to free school meals. In the meantime, you should continue to pay for free school meals until confirmation comes through. Schools may be able to arrange a reimbursement of any monies paid whilst your entitlement is being confirmed.
If you are not entitled to free school meals you will be notified in writing.
Further Information provided by North Yorkshire County Council
Information about Free School meals
Universal free school meals for infants
If your child is in reception, year one or year two they are automatically entitled to a free school meal. Parents who are on benefits and meet the above criteria are still encouraged to apply for additional funding (pdf / 337 KB), known as pupil premium funding. This benefits the school and helps increase your child's attainment. During the current roll out of Universal Credit if your child is approved for free school meals they will gain 'transitional protection' until at least March 2022.